Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Let The Organizing Begin

Now that I have more time my plan is to get all my genealogy data, paper and pictures organized.  This is definitely going to take more than one day but at least I can get started today.  I found a file cabinet and some hanging files (will have to buy more though) and I have a plan in mind.  It has taken me a long time to decide how to organize all this information.  I had tried a binder system in the past but it wasn't working out very well for me so I have decided on a file system that hopefully will work out better.  Here are some before pictures.



My plan is to get everything organized and then begin searching through information again and following up on leads.  Since I have been in school for the last 2 years I haven't had the time to do any research and I am looking forward to getting back at it.  I hope to share some stories and pictures here on my blog as well. 
The one thing I learned first hand today is when you are doing research and you jot done a note make sure to put down all the information, don't assume that you will remember it when you come across it again.  I am finding a lot of bits of papers with half written notes on them and I honestly have no clue what I was thinking when I wrote it.  Lesson learned, and hopefully with my new system I can prevent this from happening in the future.

No comments: